Barbados Day 1

Tuesday May 13th, 2014

On our first morning in Barbados, I couldn’t wait to jump out of bed and look at the beautiful turquoise Caribbean Sea from our balcony in the daylight.  It did not disappoint.


Our first appointment at Barbados Fertility Center was at 10:15 that morning.  Our hotel is a short walk from the clinic, and we opted to take the road (instead of walking down the beach) so we didn’t get lost on our first venture out of the hotel.

We got there in plenty of time, but after our first stint out into the humidity, we were drenched in sweat and chugging water.  The nurse that checked me in hinted that my scan was coming up, and I’d have to have an empty bladder…so I sadly threw away my water cup and waited.

Soon I met Dr. Skinner and she did my first scan after a week of stimulating drugs.  I was somewhat worried that I was going to have a bad response to the drugs (either too much or not enough).  She counted my follicles and said I had 8-10 maturing on each side, with a few more small ones that could catch up.  My average mature follicle size was 13mm.  Everything was right on track 🙂

Following my scan, we met with our nurse coordinator.  She went over the plan for the rest of the week and set our next appointment up for Friday at 9am.  I was instructed to stay on the same dose of Menopur, Clexane, and Buserelin.  Easy enough!

We headed back to our hotel, but took the beach route.  There was a nice boardwalk for part of the walk which then converted into a sand beach trail.  Seriously breathtaking, beautiful beaches.   And we had them completely to ourselves.


The path from the hotel to the Fertility Center.

Once back at the hotel, we changed into lighter (more beach friendly) clothes and headed out for some lunch.  We went to a little beachside restaurant called Blakeys.  Randall had a flying fish sandwich, and I had the seared sesame tuna with a salad.  SO good.

Following lunch, we stopped to take a few pictures and enjoy the view.



Our hotel is the building on the right.

After eating, we went straight for the beach and found ourselves some chairs right up by the water.  We both took naps, and when we woke up we swam around in the lagoon on our hotel’s beach.

That evening, we took the bus ($1 per person for anywhere on the island) to the grocery store.  We stocked up on snacks, sandwich supplies, fruit, and some other staples to keep us from eating out too often.

Later we headed out to the Blue Room, a restaurant directly across the street from our hotel.  Their specialty is their hamburgers- and they were amazing.  The patty was so huge that I ended up ditching the bun, and still couldn’t finish it.

After a wonderful first day, we were already feeling refreshed and starting to settle into vacation mode.  We talked about how lucky we feel to have this wonderful experience while going through IVF.  My mind is in such a happy place, and that has to be good for our chances.  Only time will tell, but for now we are feeling like we are right where we are supposed to be.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s